Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Casio CA-53W watch (and manual)

It's so frustrating trying to find manuals online these days for non-common items. My most recent endeavor was trying to find the manual for the Casio CA-53W calculator watch. I have finally located it (under a different model number?) but it's the same watch. Why do companies make finding the instructions on their devices so hard? Is it because the want to sell the manuals?


If you're looking for the manual for this watch, I've posted it [hopefully] forever more at this link:
http://www.audiolightproductions.com/manuals/Casio%20CA-53W%20watch%20manual.pdf

Even with the manual it was not easily apparent on how to find the fix I needed. My son has one of these watches - I'll extol the virtues of it in a later posting - but he had somehow turned off the beep tone that you hear when you press any/every button. This is important on a watch with tiny little buttons, because when you're using, say, the calculator, you want to know for sure that your entry took on each press. The key tone is very helpful audio feedback.

Well, somehow he had turned it off on his watch, and couldn't figure out how to turn it back on - and neither could I - yet. It bugged me bad enough to go out and [finally] find the instructions on it. And that adventure took so long that, I wanted to write a post here about it and hopefully save someone else the time and grief the next time this happens to another.

In fact, in looking, I found one of those completely non-helpful sites (in the top-five results) where someone is asking virtually the same thing, and yet has never gotten it answered [real helpful to me!]. Why search-index it, without an answer? And, now that I know, I'd willingly write to help this person out, but you have to create a whole account with this forum just to post a fix... does that make sense?

The simple fix is, you go into calculator mode - since this is where most people either want it ON for button-press-confirmations, or want it OFF so that it's not noisy when they're trying to make calculations - and you press the indented set button on the side. Once is on, again is off.

I hope it can help someone else out there with the same question. Here's hoping that Google will search-index their own blogs... ;)


Best,
-J


UPDATE (20120521):
Amazon has these with free 2-day shipping (if you have ) for ~$15!

49 comments:

  1. Same problems, no manual, and annoying button press sounds. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to help - and glad you were able to find this site for your problem!

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worn this Casio model for years and found it in 24-hour time mode yesterday, with no clue how to change it back to normal AM & PM mode. Thanks for the assist.

    ~F~

    ReplyDelete
  4. many thanks, just got the casio mcfly (as i've since dubbed it!) and i wouldn't have got far without your help!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the link! The only site on the nets I could find the manual. Saved my ass from a 12:00am alarm I had no idea how I set...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting the answer to this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. This was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting the casio manual, I looked everywhere for it even on casio's website.
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Francis: When in the time setting mode, each press of the "+" button switches between 24 & 12 hour mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried that, however in the Time Setting mode the + key does nothing.
      It does act like add in the calculator mode.


      any other clue

      Delete
    2. Thanks.

      From,
      Philippines

      Delete
  10. That's a great tip - thanks Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Top hit on google for the manual... Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! Tried forever to set it to 24 mode, then Jay & Jason to the rescue. Exelent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome...should send American Apparel the link....that is where I bought it and they were stuggling!

    JN

    ReplyDelete
  15. thankyou! huge help :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you very much! I was just searching for a link to the manual when I found this post and it was exactly what I needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another like above:
    Top hit on google for the manual... Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome, thank you very much for this. Couldnt find it anywhere, not even on casio.com. But I found it here, thanks. Oh and that is how to change from am/pm to military, while in set time and date mode any time you press "+" button.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! Thank you! I've been trying to figure that out for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks a lot for it! I have spent hours to find it! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you!!! Just bought other half one and it didn't come with instructions :( Luckily I quickly found your post so all is good in the world again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was very helpful. Thank you. Does anyone know how to turn the sound off when using the stop watch?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can somebody help me to turn off the alarm. I go to change alarm mode and there is no option to remove those bars on the top left corner that indicate that alarm is on. Help please!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you. I wanted to get out of 24-hour time (while setting time, toggle with the lower right/"+" button) and also show the date (hold down the upper right/divide button while in regualar mode).
    I bought this watch on a whim at an Ameican Apparel shop and have received several compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this is the third time I've needed to fix the beep on my watch in the last couple of years, and each time I manage to find this page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anyone know how to set the day of the week with this watch. The Manuel doesnt mention it and the day of the week doesn't select when adjusting time

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi, is there anyone can hep ne how to change the day? as now it;s already set to the right date but the day is wrong....060612 is wed but it shown MO :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the manual, under the "Setting Time And Calendar". When your setting the time, one of the screens flashes the date, press the normal mode/change button to select the right day of the week. Hope that helps. -J

      Delete
    2. Nope. This is not true. Been trying that forever? Must have a defective watch?

      Delete
    3. the format for the date should be read: YY MM-DD. So in your case, it should be 12 06-06 and not the more common 060612. Hope this helps, albeit 2 years later!

      Delete
    4. Thanks Anon! I was being driven crazy by this and finally fixed my day. :)

      Delete
  28. Holy smokes this was so easy! Thanks a bunch brotha!
    -JC

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey anyone know what those letters on the right side of the screen means????!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well mine stopped beeping when I changed the battery and the technique that usually works did not ! Cannot get it to beep at all including in alarm mode. I tried taking the battery out for several minutes and then putting it back in to see if it would reset. But no. I looked at the inside with a magnifier and can't find anything that looks like a reset button either. Can't figure out why the beep just stopped working after changing the battery. I have had it for over ten years with no problems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      There's a very small spring inside the case, on the uppser side. If it falls when you replace the battery and you don't place it again in its position, as far as I know, it cannot beep.

      Delete
  31. Date set starting with the year for day of week was brilliant!!!! Thanks whole lot bro.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My son and I were searching for this exact fix. Your post was critical and saved us more time for...cuddling. (He's 8 and still cuddles). Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  33. THANK you, Jay! The beeps and 24/hr option were driving me crazy. I thought I had tried everything, but your post is what nailed it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Glad to help! Thanks for writing. :)

      Delete
    2. Do you know how to turn off the beeping when you start or stop the stopwatch?

      Delete
  34. Do you know how to turn off the beeping when you start or stop the stopwatch

    ReplyDelete
  35. I found a date error in my watch:
    July 13rd, 2017 shows Wed instead of Thursday.
    still, i changed it 1 year forward and fixed (temporarily)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much! When fiddling with the watch, i accidentally managed to turn it on, and i loved it, but in a trampoline accident, somehow the beeper got turned off. Your article helped me to turn it back on. Thank you so Much!

    ReplyDelete
  37. THANK YOU!!! ten years after you posted this it's still helping people! I couldnt get the hourly alarm to stop and it was driving me crazy! THanks again!

    ReplyDelete