Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Promiscuous USB

I was in the ER the other day (as a visitor, not a patient), with my iPhone at 6% battery left, when I spied the USB ports on the back of the room PC:

I was very tempted to sip a little 5-volt juice from their port, as life-support for my dying phone. And I probably would have, IF I had a data blocker with me:
(This blocks the two data wires, but allows the two power wires to connect. So you can safely charge your phone. This works both ways: safe for you and your phone, but also safe for the PC owner too.)

I can imagine that many, many people just plug their ramdom hackdroids into hospital equipment all the time. This mus be a nightmare for their IT staff. Indeed, there's an article out today USB Ports Pose Hidden Risk for Medical Facilities.
Full Article: http://www.scmagazine.com/usb-ports-pose-hidden-risk-for-medical-facilities/article/458298

Everybody should have a data-blocker in their urban EDC. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment